Originally Posted by MamaJA
I thought maybe there was something that I couldn't find (on Hoagies, from Ruf or Webb) that kind of tells you if your kiddo is about x amount of years ahead, then they are gifted and if they are xx amount of years ahead then they are HG, and so on. I guess it's kind of a dumb thing to ask but I really do appreciate this discussion.

Very recently I helped another homeschooling family find math curriculum for their GT 2nd grader. They were using very a very straight forward curriculum that most people would use as extra practice. They had to come down 3 grade levels from where they were before to start their child in Singapore. Singapore is a very dense, deep curriculum IMHO. I have a math/science background and spent quite a bit of time looking at math options for us.

I think math is one of those things that is harder for kids to leap on without exposure and encouragement compared to language arts. My own child conceptually gets so much, but can still be intimidated by notation. So I think there are kids that are very gifted in math that might not be able to demonstrate all their conceptual knowledge on a particular test. Some computationally saavy kids may not have as deep of knowledge conceptually. I'm not sure it can be as simple as testing X years ahead = some particular level of giftedness.

Needless to say, your child is extremely gifted! smile My child was working 3 years ahead in Singapore last year and tested 5-6 years ahead in math.