BooBoo,
My son has a "borderline" PSI yet scores above the 90 percentile on VCI and PRI. There is over a 50 point spread.

He is much like your son - poor handwriting, fine motor. Took him forever to learn to tie shoes. Still struggles with zippers and buttons.

Various experts have pointed to his visual motor as one reason for the low score. But I can tell you he is VERY slow at almost everything.

I call him my slow and deep thinker.

Now that he is in 8th grade, this is becoming a problem. It is harder for him to keep up with the amount of work - particularly written output. Unfortunately, many in our schools confuse speed with brightness. I fear he will be precluded from honors level classes, because his processing speed and related output will make it difficult to keep up with the amount of work. Yet I know intellectually he can keep up with the content.

BooBoo - also - the comprehension subtest on WISC doesn't measure overall comprehension. It is more of a measure of one's ability to comprehend social norms.

If you want to get a read on how strong his general comprehension skills are, many speech and language tests such as TLC (test of language competence) would be good measures of his verbal comprehension skills. His overall VCI score is another measure of his verbal reasoning skills.