Thanks so much! Your story has me shaking my head because I can relate. It took Damian 2 hours and 15 minutes to do 6 out of 8 math questions on Wednesday. It's possible that he doesn't want to take the risk I guess. He never has been much of a risk taker and tends to err on the side of caution.

Hopefully, everything will work out but in the meantime, both my son and the school are driving me nuts. I am afraid to pick him up from school because i just know the teacher is going to tell me that he was off task or didn't turn in his homework or as the case was today....apparently ended up in time out because he got "bored" in the middle of a lesson and started wandering around the classroom.

Originally Posted by AlexsMom
Originally Posted by GeniusZooKeeper
I don't want to say that he is bored, because I really think he will find plenty of challenges in his work if he gave it a shot, but I will say he is disinterested. He finds the monotonous reviews and stuff irrelevant, but that does not necessarily mean he knows the work. It simply means that he isn't intrigued by it, so he doesn't care to do it??? Do you understand what I am saying?

Oh, yeah. My DD is much the same, but is enough of a people-pleaser that she does the work, then complains at home, rather than not doing the work.

Any chance that, when faced with more-challenging work, your DS is choosing to fail by not trying, rather than risk trying and failing? ("I could have done it, if I'd wanted to" rather than actually doing it, when failure is an option? And "failure" could be a very high threshold - my DD considered an 80 on an AR quiz to be a failure, and picked a book 2+ levels lower as her next one.)

My DD is not always capable of figuring out what support she needs. She's done better when I've suggested possible supports, and she gets to choose from them. Praising any improvement helps, but she's very praise-motivated. (Let me tell you, though, it was hard for me to say "Hey, you finished that math worksheet in 34 minutes! That's nearly twice as fast as the 55 minutes it took you yesterday!" when the teacher-imposed goal was 10 minutes. Particularly when half of the time was spent gazing randomly about.)