Yes it is.

Damian has never been like this before. I did have him evaluated and the results were simply highly gifted. But in his other school he never worked for his grades. He came home an honor student all year long. He complained that he was bored, had no friends and was being bullied.

In this school, he has made some friends with other gifted students now, and the meltdowns after school have stopped, but he doesn't want to do the work. He says he wants to learn about medieval times, dinosaurs and division. He wants to be a paleontologist when he grows up. He read How to train your dragon in 2 hours and he also read Eragon in one day. He has been getting in trouble because he is getting caught reading during lessons. He forgets his homework in school, or pieces of it and he loses track of time a lot. More often than not, after spending 2 hours doing 45 minutes of homework (because he can't stay focused on it and keeps checking out the latter pages of his textbooks) he doesn't even turn it in. Homework is 50% of his grade and the teacher takes 10 points off his homework grade everyday that it is late so he is getting 50's on homework and it brings his grades down to a D.

I need to know how to help my child and I guess I am worried because so many people will be at this meeting, and I think we all share a common goal of wanting Damian to be successful but it seems the school system has a very different idea than I do on how to achieve that.