Hi everyone , I usually don't post , just lurk. I have an exceptionally gifted DD 12 years old. She started to have difficulties getting herself to school in the 5th grade despite great grades. She was tested for Gate in the 3rd grade (not sure what that did for her)and was pulled out for an accelerated math class. Needless to say once 6th grade started at the local middle school I couldn't even get her go after the first 2 weeks.

To make a 2 private schools for the 1st semester and home schooling with a tutor for the 2nd semester. She is not someone who enjoys the solitude of homeschooling.

She is an extremely artistic and creative child who loves polymer clay and drawing. I was desperate for a solution that wouldn't cost me 25K a year or more. We applied for the Orange County High School of The Performing Arts, she auditioned for the Visual Arts conservatory and got in. So she started at the end of August and seems to love the school except for her Visual Arts teacher (Long Story) not very creative. She also is not very fond of the Pre-Algebra teacher and also has him for Science she says it sooooo boring. This school will not subject accelerate or skip grades. They will not work with you because so many kids want to go their school you are a dime a dozen.

We commute from Torrance to Orange County and Sierra gets terrible headaches from the hour drive up and back each day. She is starting to have the same tell tale signs of phantom headaches and stomach aches, hard to get her up in the morning 5:30 am, crying spells, etc. I wish there was a great school for exceptionally gifted kids in Los Angeles, or at least a great exceptionally gifted kids homeschool co-op that we could check out. Sierra would excel at a school that she could have like minded peers and the ability to accelerate the curriculum. She is highly sensitive and highly intuitive.

Until I had Sierra tested I had no idea that trying to find a suitable learning environment for my daughter would consume my days. When I ask her school if they accelerate all I hear is "we don't do that". What the hell does that mean??? They have 9th and 10th graders in my daughters 7th grade pre-algebra class but they won't put my daughter in a above level Algebra class because she needs to be with her peers. They have no idea who my daughters peers are. I have 12 year old with a 17 or 18 year old mind Per the WISC IV (Ceiling of 4 sub tests) and the WJ III ACH , 11.3 grade level, 16-9 Age Level, high school gradulate level and post graduate level on many of the subtests.

Sorry for the rant but I am getting desperate If anyone has any suggestions for the LA or Orange County area please advise.

Kimberly