Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate it! It means so much to know that there are people out there who understand my frustrations. I will email the principal and ask for a meeting as soon as possible.

It was really frustrating having a 20-minute slot with the math teacher and being told these things for the first time. I swear I had to bite my tongue everytime one of those remarks were mentioned. It was hard to not blurt out some smart comeback when she said that my son doesn't act like a third grader. I am a pretty agreeable person, and I remember saying "I do agree that there has to be certain level of behavior that is expected of everyone, but I think that it is unfair to expect him to act like a third grader. He is 6." To which she responded something about her having 10 years of experience teaching 6-year olds. I had to bite my tongue again to not say, "I do not see the logic in what you just said."

My kid, while active and talkative in nature, is NOT a behavior problem in his second grade classroom. Her teacher told me that repeatedly.

Jane, to answer some of your questions - no, there is no ability grouping at this time in this school. And yes, I plan to spend extra time with my kid to get him back on track, especially given the disadvantage he's been put in.

Wren, thanks for your comments. The subject acceleration was actually the school's recommendation. During the last 2 months of 1st grade, the teacher was basically just giving him 3rd grade worksheets to work on while he teaches the others 1st grade math, and she felt that it was unfair to just have my child be working by himself in one corner all the time. And I can imagine that it's pretty hard to have such a disparity in a class. That's how the talk of subject acceleration came about. I wanted to ask you though about your experience with CTY - how is it compared to EPGY? Is your DD taking the CTY course in place of her math subject in school? How did you propose that to her school? Btw, happy 6th birthday to your DD!

Thank you all again for all your thoughts and encouragement!

JSMOM