Hi Kriston,

We're also applying for the 2/15 deadline for DS8. He took the WISC and WIAT in 11/07. The WIAT scores ceilinged out at 160 for both math and reading; WISC FSIQ was 147 with a VCI of 148.

We finally were able to select someone to do a reference for us; moving every 2 years + homeschooling = few non-family people to write references! Our reference-writer sent in her recommendation last week.

I'm just finishing the application this evening and will be sending it out tomorrow. I'm sort of glad that I'm sending in our app toward the deadline, because it means we won't be waiting so long for an answer.

Of course I am nervous and don't want to depend on a "yes" response, even though all of his scores are above their minimums. I feel that he will need advocacy in the near future and it would be wonderful to have DYS support. At 8 (2nd grade) he's doing middle/high school work as a homeschooler, but will need to take traditional classes in advanced subjects soon. I never even took Calculus and couldn't teach it to him - he would need to take a class. At his current pace, he'll be ready for it around age 11, and I know it that DYS assistance would be helpful when that time comes.

Aside from that practical assistance with advocacy, I would appreciate being part of a community of families who deal with a similar parenting experience. I don't know anyone else who has a kid like mine, and many times we feel emotionally isolated as a result. He has good friends, but consciously self-limits around them since they are on a different level in many ways. I would love to help him find a true peer, even just one.

Well. That was quite a ramble! Good luck to you as you wait for your answer. We'll have to post back to this thread when we get our replies. I promise to let you know how we do, even if we are rejected *sob*.