Sounds like you are tying to be reasonable with the school. Nice hasn't been the greatest system for us. Nice to the teacher, & principal yes. Firm and unyeilding with the district. That's our method. Education is trickle down. The district has the power so I fight at that level. I'm huge on knowing your district and state guidelines forwards and backwards. That way you can use their language. For example you could remind them that according to policy X, the school must provide each gifted student a FAPE (free and appropriate education). Or document Z says that acceleration is available. If there is a policy quote it page and line #. FYI- just because they say there is one agaist your request, doesn't mean there is. I'm finding in my district that they don't even know their own policies, misqoute the ones they do and out right lie on others. So request copies from your state board of education and your district. Your state policies trump your districts.

If you're state doesn't mandate what you want you can still use language they will get. "I'm looking to get a free and appropriate education for Johnny" or "If Johnny is operating at grade 5 in math and he is in the 2nd grade, explain how it is appropriate that he is doing 2nd grade math?" When they explain there side have your answer ready. There are really only a few responses they can give. I prepared my answers ahead of time.

You can also request they do the Iowa Acceleration Scale with you as a participant. Its suppose to be a good way to see if a student needs a grade skip or how close they are to one. May give you some leverage.

Good luck!!!