Inky's right for CA too- almost no for-profit charters, strict oversight by a local charter board, lottery for entry are all CA requirements.

As for teacher credentialing, I've been in my charter for 11 years now. About 2/3 of my teachers are credentialed. 1/3 are not. The non-credentialed ones are almost all professional artists working in their field and teaching art, music, drama, dance, stagecraft, graphic and digital arts and 3D animation. If all teachers were required to have credentials, our school would lose all the excitement, energy and passion it has! Add in my physics teacher who has a Ph.D and doesn't want to spend 2 more years in school to get a piece of paper. Great teachers are born not made, a piece of paper won't change that.

All of our parents are required to volunteer 30 hours a year. The #1 key to success we've found is parental involvement. We keep costs down, class sizes smaller than our district and parents are part of the team in their child's education.

We do revoke contracts for students. We have high academic and behavioral expectations. If you can't meet them, you'll have three chances, a ton of resources and parent meetings to get you to try. If you don't try, we will replace that student with someone who will. About 5 students a year in 1000 kids grades 6th-12th don't make it.

I get a bit defensive when charter schools get accused of cherry picking. Our school requires parent commitment, student passion and hard work. Kids are in school from at least 8am to 4pm, their only classes available are college prep. There are no easy F's at my school- we will force you to tutoring, make you sit lunches with your teachers, meet with your parents, call them weekly and generally harass you until you put in the work! Some families just don't want to put in the effort...