What this thread reminds me of is how sensitive kids are to their parent's dreams and desires. I think that what really hurts kids, with sports or academics, is the situation where the parent really NEEDS the child to be successful for their own ego needs.

OTOH, lots of kids I know need very strong encouragement for any kind of achievement, and that could look like pushing from the outside. Or even in the eyes of the child.

And from the inside, how do we ever know if we are meeting the child's needs or our own ego needs?

Ug! no clean answers when it comes to being a parent, yes? We are going to have to feel our own way here, say a prayer, and hope for the best. At least if we can talk it over, here or else where, we have a better chance of getting it 'right enough.'

It's hard to argue what 'other people's kids' should or shouldn't be encouraged to do. Anyone with enough spare energy to get into the school and mentor other peoples kids has me cheering, but for the most of us, doing the best we can for our own kids is exactly where we need to start. Or let's brainstorm ways to change the anti-intellectual nature of American culture.

Love and More Love
Grinity

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com