I can see both sides of it with DS.... On the one hand it would have been completely ridiculous on the academic side to put him in K or 1 at the "appropriate" time, and nevermind a year later (birthday just making the cutoff). But on the other hand, I don't think he would have enjoyed K or 1 early or on time either. It's not that he's immature, really, but definitely introverted and likes his personal space. Lots of noise and groups of kids and pushing and shoving isn't really his cup of tea.... and the big joke around here when he would have gone to K was that he would have lasted about 2 hours before yelling "OKAY everyone just take two BIG steps that way!" wink

Up until maybe last year (barely 8) he did best with other kids in small groups and in short periods of time (1-3 hours). And he did best in especially well-controlled situations -- orderly, predictable, quiet, etc. Add to it that until last year his abilities were WAAAAAAY variable (great in math, not so great in writing, etc.) -- I can kind of see in him the "leveling out in third grade" effect, but not in comparison to other kids, just in his own stride. He is much more "level" himself now (just not very "third grade" LOL). And I think he'd be fine in school now.

So I guess what I'm saying is I would hate to have had to make a choice at 5. There wasn't really a good one for him in either direction, and even if we found something that worked then, I don't think it would be the same something that would work now. What I wish is that the whole system were more flexible, especially in the early years, and that we didn't have to pick a single grade or class that fit for everything... which for us just comes back to homeschooling.

Erica