Originally Posted by inky
". . . For as much as the world has benefited from the contributions of gifted individuals, it is disturbing, to this writer, to realize that the population least likely to learn and achieve its potential is the highly gifted."
~ Joseph Cardillo
This line of thinking in general makes me very uncomfortable. I'm really hesitant to put this level of expectation on any child. Also there is a fallacy involved - a child with no signs of giftedness at all all through school may turn out to make a huge contribution, and then be trumpeted as 'highly gifted.' There is little date linking Adult achievement with childhood LOG. Probably because of the frustrations these children routinely face in school, but maybe not.

Then I feel that this argument flips so quickly into 'see, they don't need special education - look at all they have achieved under the current system.

In the end I think that it's better to stick to the moral high ground and say: We want to help all children have a reasonable shot at going to school, developing good work habits, and being in classrooms that teach to their readiness level.

or - to put it anther way -
We don't want special treatment, we just want a level playing field. The average child gets lots of chances to learn how to learn at school. That's what we want for our kids too.

((hugs))
Thanks for giving me the change to make this point again - I love making it!

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com