I can't speak to your OT eval or the type of remediation that DS may need but I can share my recent vt experience.

My DD8 just finished vision therapy to address eye tracking and eye teaming problems. Her vision therapy ran Feb-August (about 30 weeks). DD has noticed that, even though she still needs reading glasses, it is significantly physically easier for her to read. She is not experiencing the eye strain and headaches that she got before VT. For her, I think that it was worth it.

When we started the process, we got a recommendation from our optometrist (who is not affiliated with the VT person and has no financial incentive to recommend this person). We also checked out some therapists recommended by other people we knew through school. Some of the other therapists required a contract for a set period of at least 6 months. Some required at home exercises and projected shorter timeframes (6 months to a year). Some did not include a home program and had much longer projections (2 years?). Some did all of their exercises on computers others were more low tech. We ended up going with the person recommended by out optometrist (a low tech person who did not require a long term contract and who typically got results in 6-12 months).