This is all so very helpful. Hopefully the scheduling won't be too tricky. Because 2 fifth grade classes are paired (so 1 teacher does math 2 times a day - once with each class, while the other teacher does LA), the principal has 2 time windows to use to match up with the 3rd grade math time. This was one of the principal's initial concerns, but once she was convinced DS needed this, she clearly saw the necessity for smooth scheduling. He won't have to miss specials, etc. from what we have been told.

But the other issues are important ones to think about. I am like Dottie, I don't want to raise too many questions at this point, I'd rather bring them up as we go along, but the issue of evaluation and communications I'm going to talk to them about. As for things like field trips, etc., I think the first time that comes up I will push for them to let him do Aleks either in the classroom or library. If not that, I don't think they could argue with letting him work in his geometry book or Fred book, or even just let him read his own book and I'd have him do 20 minutes of Aleks at home.

For state testing, I assume he will test with his main grade. My feeling is they should give him the homework packet for the testing (because there are always some terms in there you learn and forget) and he can just do that, but should stay with the 5th graders the rest of the time (review is boring regardless, so might as well make it as good as possible).

The other issue is whether he will get the 5th grade math enrichment. I guess we need to bring that up right away too. Maybe I won't bring up the evaluation question yet eek, since I have a few months for that.

And this is all in one school, I can only imagine what it will be like next year, when he has to go to jr. high, and we are dealing with 2 different principals, 2 dif. curriculum supervisors, etc.

Thanks again, Cat