Many teachers and school administrators don't seem to realize that what's right for the vast majority of students is disastrous for small minorities. By way of comparison, no competent doctor would hand out a medication that causes a serious allergic reaction in 2% of the population without checking to see if his patient was allergic first.

This is one of the things that vexes me most about educators, and it's also one of the things that tells me that the field lacks professionalism. Many educators talk confidently about, for example, "research," yet they're clearly speaking about how something affects the majority and are ignorant about the needs of the gifted population. You can't call yourself a professional if you aren't even aware of something that affects 2%-2.5% of the population you serve. Not to mention that the lockstep philosophy is another indicator of lack of knowledge and understanding that's central to the field of education.

Who put these people in charge?

Okay, rant off. I'll send a (much less blunt) message to the administrator and try to help this kid.

Val