I have an adopted son who is 7 (got him at 15 months...also poor nutrition and extreme neglect). We had him tested through the local school system to find out if he had a learning disability (he had already been diagnosed with ADHD at the time). I was shocked by how high his processing speed was given his ADHD and impulse control issues.

The reason why I was so surprised was because our gifted son has an average processing speed, which is completely out of whack with his other scores. Go figure.

I agree with Dottie, that these children race through the tests. I would further add that they don't stress about the answers, they see the obvious and go for it. My other son, because of his high IQ, sees a world of possibilities in every question/scenario and that really slows him down.

I would also like to note that this child has recently been diagnosed as being bi-polar. He is on new meds and is responding beautifully (other than morning/night when the meds are wearing off). Turns out that a lot of the impulse control issues were related to the bipolar problems.