Hi, Jimmysmom.

I would like to mention Dabrowski's Over-excitabilities Theory as a possibility.

I have had suggestions of autism, and certainly OCD tendencies, in my own son, now 7. His Montessori teacher labeled him early on as autistic due to "hyperlexia," inability to sit still during circle time (age 4), zoning out/daydreaming during class time, and occasionally enjoying playing alone.

However...my very sociable, well-balanced, and happy child is about the farthest from autistic that one may be. As with other highly gifted children, he just has some differences. Dabrowski's theory explains him perfectly - all five areas. It also gives me great comfort that some of his little quirks fit right in line with this theory. It also explains why many highly gifted children are misdiagnosed with ADHD, etc.

Thought I might add this as a perspective, primarily because we have been through some difficult and uncomfortable school situations where a teacher wanted to "diagnose" my DS and did not even consider profound giftedness as a possibility.

Regards,
Alee31