Originally Posted by Kerry
As for our summer - we decided to grow a garden this summer, in hopes of getting lots of veggies for canning and preserving and baking - but we've been most successful growing catepillars! crazy Which has turned DDs into catepillar "owners" complete with a butterfly house and the daily "chore" of feeding them and cleaning their house and basically keeping track of them. It has been great for them, but not so great on DH's ego - he was really hoping for a banner crop of tomatoes. frown

I had to update you all about our catepillars. We just spent the last 1/2 hour watching the first 2 moths emerge from their pupa! They crawled their way out of the dirt (good thing we kept the cover on the container smile )- it was really cool. They pretty quickly emerged from about 5 inches of dirt, with long spotted bodies and little grey moltted wings. We put them into a large clear plastic container with a few sticks and watched them pump their wings up and unroll their probiscus and about 5 minutes later watched as they spread their wings for the first time.
I don't know who was more excited about it DD7 or DH ! There are 4 or 5 more in the dirt still, so we could be busy over the next few days.

Of course, DD wants to keep them and start a moth farm crazy but DH is intent on letting them go this evening when it gets a bit cooler so that they can live out their days the way they are suppose to (his exact words).

DD is now going to make both a power point book about the experience as well as a written book about the life cycle of the tomato horn worm. (I can't wait to see the final product.) I'll let you all know how it goes smile