Originally Posted by incogneato
Debbie,

I wonder if a parent could confuse like, a sensual overexcitability or something like that to a sensory processing disorder?

I think of sensory processing disorder as a person who has a taste sensation when they think of numbers, or feels sun on their skin like a prickly sensation or something along those lines.

Would you clear this up for me. My little one has exhibited hand flapping, also, but only when she's very excited about an activity that she is extremely engaged in.

Here's a good description of SPD:
http://www.spdfoundation.net/about-sensory-processing-disorder.html#lookslike

Hand flapping isn't typically considered to be a "sensory processing disorder" but more a behavior related to overexcite-ability or hypersensitivity. At least in my experience. I once saw a child who came in for an OT evaluation with hand flapping as the primary concern from his parents. But he only did it when he was intensely concentrating on something or excited about what he was doing. I watched him do it while he was sorting and organizing some toys during the evaluation. Then he instantly stopped the behavior when I called his name and asked him to sit at the table. But then started again while he was looking at some pictures for me and concentrating. The child was obviously gifted. And his dad said that *he* does the same thing! Apparently the mom just wanted them BOTH to stop!

And yes a parent, or professional for that matter, can easily confuse sensitivities and a disorder. As I've said before on this site and others, it's really only a disorder if it disrupts development or life! If it ain't broke, no reason to fix it!

Last edited by doodlebug; 07/30/10 09:52 PM.