Originally Posted by calizephyr
I agree, when kids can pass a 'mini test' they should not go through the grueling task of a pile of computations.
Grin, I'll keep it short and simple, I am dyslexic. I love working with these kids because believe me, I feel for them. I came up with ways to become proficient at math- after pitfalls and struggles, and of course no help back in the day. Each child is different, too. Generally I find they love finding my backwards numbers though.
Calizephyr,
Sounds like your kids are luck to have you! I hope your school supports you by providing lots of above level material so that you can see exactly where each child is, and at exactly what pace each child is ready to move. Seems to me that some kids may be at two levels in math - one level that discribes what level of abstract thought they are on, and ready to learn with supports such a calculators or multiplication charts, and another level for the rote memoritsation skills. Both need to be addressed in a balanced way.

I got my son to practice his multiplication math facts by showing him the forgiving method of long division - lots of math facts being practiced there!

Of course what works with a bored gifted kid may not be what workes for a 2E child, kwim?

Have you read Weinbrenner's book? If not I highly reccomend it.
Smiles,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com