Originally Posted by Mom2Two
The school says, this response is because the writing isn't developmentally appropriate for him and therefore he needs to stay with his age peers.

They've also said for social reasons they do not accelerate or hold kids back because it is hard on their self-esteeem. So, they've given me two reasons why he is fine where he is--socially and writing--even though I've never asked for a skip.

But in reading/verbal/spelling/comprehension and in math, he is VERY under-challenged.

They do compare him to other kids and say, "they don't have trouble with the writing." But, they are also not asked to write at the level of my son. So, they give him higher level work and frustrate him, but then say "that is the reason he can't advance and he needs to stay with other kids."

The only thing I've ever asked for is that he get more challenging reading work. Then, they throw it back that he can't write.

It has felt like we are going in circles to the point where I'm questioning myself.
Grrr - so they've set up a strawman, one they can easily knock down... Don't question yourself, question them! It sounds to me as though they may well be right that grade skipping isn't in your DS's best interests right now, BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN THEY CAN IGNORE HIS NEEDS! (Sorry for shouting :-) It's their job to help him learn, in all areas, not just the one where he's least advanced. Tell them to do their job, and/or start looking at alternative schools or educational options... you and he shouldn't have to accept this kind of treatment.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail