@Texican- unfortunatly, my brother the computer programmer also told my DS that there was no need to learn to write because he hasn't written anything at all in 2 years. He's probably right but you don't need to tell my kid that!

The physical act of writing (penmanship and letter formation etc) has nothing to do with reading level. I doubt that the school would keep Stephen Hawking in Kindergarten simply because he couldn't actually write the words ;-)

I heard the same thing for two years (in pre-K and K for my son). I pushed and pushed. He's now grade skipped in a different school that has happily taken his "at grade level" writing ability and encouraged, pushed and pulled better and longer written responses out of him.

I started by just telling them that I'd get him evaluated with our pediatrician but that I was certain that a physical delay wouldn't impact his education. I repeated that several times until they began to understand that I wasn't going to let it go. We did have to switch schools however. The private school went from handwriting complaints to "oh we go deeper not faster." And deeper meant my kid reading at a 3rd grade level had to sit through phonics of A says ahhhh so that he would be a good speller in 3rd grade...