On boredom: yes, it is certainly a factor for a 2E. I'd say 20-30% of my son's difficulties at school were due to the fact that he had long since mastered most of the material, and that this percentage is increasing over time. (Luckily, the gifted services available also increase over time-- should be OK.)

HOWEVER-- compared to autism, I would say that for us, boredom was a secondary concern in K and 1. In K, the main problem was that he had not mastered certain essential social skills that would allow him to function properly at school. We were told by the school with all sincerity that he was just bored, that "clearly he was learning just fine while hiding under the table because look how well he reads"-- and so on-- and on that basis they tried to deny him the IEP. He really needed support, but they wanted to use his giftedness against him and just let him muddle along in school because he was so smart.

Because of this experience I would be careful about even mentioning giftedness to the school so early in this negotiation, because in some districts they do deny absolutely necessary services to kids with disabilities if they think the kid will scrape through based on smarts alone. They are not required to give you a Cadillac, only a Chevy. If they think the kid is struggling but appears to be compensating and is achieving at average levels-- they will sometimes deny the child services for the disability even if that means the child will not reach their potential. (Never say "potential" in a school meeting, and never say "best"-- they are not required by law to give you the best or to help the child reach his potential, only to provide "appropriate" education.)

Our best strategy in this context was to push hard to address the autism first, and let the teachers gradually realize that the gifted services were just as important to his success. (They did notice, and differentiated instruction meaningfully from grade 1 on.)

I felt that the academic mastery really gave us some breathing room: in grade 1 when every other child was struggling to spell and add, mine was struggling to maintain his composure. In some ways, it was really nice that he didn't have to give any effort to spelling or addition. Struggling in everything at once would have been awful. He was just following his own, alternative curriculum. And he continued to magically absorb math and reading and all sorts of other good stuff practically out of the air that year, so it's not like he lost a year of academic progress. On the contrary, the social learning makes a lot of other learning possible.

The giftedness won't go away; but the social stuff makes life difficult forever, and the sooner you get a handle on it the better. Our family chose to make that the priority in the early grades, and I still think it was the right choice for DS. The need to get the social and play skills ASAP is probably all the more acute for girls-- because female peers are less forgiving of social deficits.

Best,
DeeDee