Originally Posted by RobinsNest
I was worried especially about A, as this was her first experience in a typical preschool environment, but as it turned out there were several kids in the class with issues a lot worse than ours (several with completely clueless parents), so it was fine for the most part. Until the end of the year, when B started refusing to sit for circle time and just generally giving the teacher a hard time. I figured this is evidence she is still socially immature and it gave support to the plan to wait an extra year to start K.

Wow - I propose we sing a few round of 'For she's a Jolly Good Parent' to you and your DH. You've been through quite a ride, and I'll bet you've had very few folks that you could share everything with to help along the way. I love seeing your thinking and hearing all the stories from folks in response.

In general I like the approach your husband takes of 'met their needs now, worry about next year next year. But what worries me is the rough going at the end of the last school year. It's quite possible that it was a lack of social skills, but what if it is due to lack of challenge? Many (of course not all) gifted children are 'extra-sensitive' emotionally, and act in ways that are labled 'socially immature' even though that extra sensitivity might lead to great art or huge humanitarian acts.

Remember the time when I was about 8 years old, and my family almost missed a vacation because I really wanted to 'shake hands' with each of the trees on our lawn before we left? That kind of behavior could easily drive an adult nuts, yes? The car is packed with all the siblings and suitcases, and I'm in the backyard doing high 5s with the tree branches. And I was supposed to be the responsible big sister - good luck with that one!

Anyway - it's the individual teacher and classroom that matter the most. 1/2 day programs are less of a problem than full day programs. Play-based programs are less of a problem than academicly orriented programs when the child already knows the academics. I love all the suggestions here, so keep exploring and learning as your go, and let us know how it turns out, ok?

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com