I absolutely love Rightstart, but it probably wouldn't be the best program to start at a mid-elementary level because it is so different from other programs. It is a manipulative based program that really focuses on mental math and teaching the foundational elements/logic behind math, instead of just how to solve a problem like many curriculums. We started HSing in January, and my DS5 did Righstart B/half of C along with CalMath 2, which our public schools use. I thought RS was SO much better, and he has so much more fun with it. It's great for PG kids, because she intermixes really neat geometry activities, math games, things like Roman Numerals and drawing, etc. It is very mom-intensive because it is not workbook-based, so we usually tackle it while our toddler is napping, but it's such a nice change from the usual paper routine.

My son hated math when I tried to supplement his 1st semester of kindergarten out of Singapore. By May, Math was his favorite subject (even though his strongest gifts are reading/creative writing), and he just aced every 2nd grade standard on a standardized placement test. I guess that means something is working! smile

Last edited by gratefulmom; 06/16/10 09:19 PM.

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2