OK, I ordered a book recommended on delbows' link and have bookmarked the prentice hall site that details Dottie's rec. I printed out some material from the site Minnie suggested, and it is good. I need to look further, but the problems are clear and obviously build skills and comprehension.

But given my children's ages and the way it's organized it sounds like Singapore math may be the way to go for us. When they are a little older i can consider online classes.

I had a thought about this - when my kids do worksheets they obviously write ON the worksheet and while I'm not a stickler for showing their work, I do encourage it to a point to avoid mistakes and make it easier to correct mistakes. But if someone is working with a hardcover text will they typically re-write the problem? Is this a positive or a negative? My kids are a little averse to writing so OTOH, I don't want to make math too onerous. OTOH, it might be good practice and also force them to really focus on the problem. As I think about this, I am realizing this is part of my problem with the online and worksheets approach. There's something about the presentation of the answer that seems not right to me.

Anyone have any thoughts?