YES!!!

That was inarguably the most awesome meeting I've ever had. Not only did the principal agree to accept DS7 into their program, she was genuinely excited about it! He will attend part time beginning in August, then enroll full time the following year.

The principal asked so many relevant questions regarding accomodations and his emotional status. She plans to assign him a counselor and a senior mentor. She completely agreed with my reasons behind looking for part time the first year. We talked about emotional meltdowns and she told me that many of the sixth grade boys cry so he'll fit right in. Then she told me that she will enroll him officially as a 7th grader because in her words "6th graders are very squirrely and are likely to lead your little one down the wrong path. By 7th grade our students are much more settled and focused, plus she thinks he'll like the math teacher better."

She committed to having a meeting with his teachers and I after one month to "tweak and finagle as necessary"! Unbelievable! If the rest of the staff is a reflection of the Principle and her attitude, DS' education just got soooo much easier. My fingers are still crossed, but i'm much more hopeful than i've ever been.

Shari
Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!