Originally Posted by master of none
I'm just really confused. I thought that it was just some extroverts in the general population that had a misconception, and I was OK letting it slide, but now that I'm finding the bias against shy
among the GT people,
those who I thought would know better, I'm wondering if I'm the one who is misinformed.

My DH says we just need to come up with an answer to correct their misconceptions.

Lots of us here have experienced the cognitive dissonance that some 'GT people' at school seem to have very little experience with some of the subtler aspects of giftedness. LOG, in particular, is totally lost on many. Since my son fits the perfect 'school profile' of loud and extroverted, I haven't been sensitised to this part of it. But I'm still heartbroken that my son's elementray school Principle almost fainted when I casually mentioned that I was planning for DS to take the College Board's SAT 1 in 7th grade.

I think your DH is right on, and would suggest you practice: 'Still Water's Run Deep,eh?' with a mysterious knowing nod and eyebrow raise. Practice the body language, because that's the best way to get your emotional point across.

You could also try gushing: "It's it great that she has such a high EQ that she doesn't want to alienate her agemates by using big words that they don't understand."

or

"Isn't it mature and cute how she percieves that the other children needs so much more of the teacher's attention and holds back to try and benifit them?"

or

"Well, given the poor fit, I don't think it's a suprise that she doesn't feel safe enough to show very much in the classroom, do you?"

or

"I think she is well aware of how kids treat the child who is different. I think that being quiet in school is an excellent coping stratagy. Let's experiment by moving her to a classroom where she will be less odd, ok?"

OK - I'm going a bit overboard on the obnoxious-meter here, but sometimes practicing what you don't want to say is a great way to find that comfortable middle ground.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com