Originally Posted by master of none
I don't know if this is denial or clarity of thinking, but dd is not over the top in IQs. She is only 146. I can understand why a 160 might need more acceleration, but dd isn't topping out her testing.

She does not know her limits, yet. Let her find them on her own. She WILL surprise you.

Originally Posted by Mama22Gs
If a DC is grade-skipped into a class with other ND kids a year ahead, the work will be more challenging, but will the pace be fast enough? And are the peers a better fit for finding a kindred spirit...?

When I was skipped, I found the work more interesting. But not necessarily more challenging once I got used to it. I was able to make friends more easily for a number of reasons - the kids took school more seriously, they could talk about more subjects, and I was not a competitor socially for anyone in the class.

Finding intellectual peers is almost always impossible when in most groups even at college. It is something that she will have to get used to. I liked Ruf's advice - one has friends for different things.

Originally Posted by Dottie
MON, make sure she knows that there is a difference between "smarter" and "knows more",

The best analogy I can come up with is this. Some people are born with great eyesight and others with poor eyesight.

Like good vision, High IQ brings a different way to see the world. Because high IQ, it becomes very easy to see things that others can see only with difficulty or not at all. It is like a telescope, a microscope, and all kinds of seeing devices wrapped up in a mind. The possessor of High IQ, just like the owner of a seeing device, has to learn to operate their abilities. You need to learn what you can see, how to filter mirages, and how to use it.

Last edited by Austin; 05/10/10 10:34 AM.