Well, it's good to know I don't seem crazy to people on this board!

All the delay tactics you both mentioned sound very familiar. At the pre-Christmas meeting they said "lets move him into the gifted cluster and FOCUS and that should do the trick. We'll meet again to follow up later, but he shouldn't need anything else." To quote Dandy "BAH"!

Yes, the spelling lists would cover about 10 minutes. I like the Sripps idea because DS can spell virtually any word, but I'd like his vocab to broaden as well. I just wondered about accomodations, differentiation, and subject acceleration because those are some other ways our district has approved of working with GT kids. I like the idea of asking them to excuse him from work he's already mastered because I do think they are planning on having him do the work and then give him extra.

I did purchase the IAS Manual 3rd, and I scored him on my own(very conservatively). Even without the above level testing (I gave him a zero) he still falls into the excellent candidate range. He wants the skip too. The school makes it sound like 4th grade is the worst year to skip because they have so much curriculum to cover and even though he's "bright" they have their doubts. I have my doubts that they can sufficiently educate him, and I'm so tired of convincing him every morning that it is important to go to school because he MAY learn something!

After re-reading all this I probably should have posted under the advocacy tab, but oh well I'm here now!