Hi - Just signed on while researching RIT scores for one of my kids - 2nd grade with very high MAP score - and hit this site.

I'm working from home right now so didn't have time to fully digest the site - does anyone want to give me a quick overview and recommendations on specific forums or topics I should look at?

My situation - kids aged kindergarten to middle school. Middle child off scales I think - 2nd grader doing random 4th & 5th grade assignments (good teacher but does not have resources to really teach my daughter but does recognize her abilities and throws her different assignments from time to time). other kids by the way are also smart but don't know where they fall on gifted scales - my focus is on 2nd grader now.

We don't want to do after school educational things - kids should be kids - and she is in soccer, getting black belt in Taekwondo, etc. which is good.

No objection to after school homework - we just don't want a full evening curriculum. Would rather have the school provide instruction during the day, but I recognize we will have to recommend things to the teachers and principal (who also knows daughter is teaching challenge and is supportive but it is not translating to gifted education yet).

Other factors - daughter is very quite and compliant - won't make a fuss - so if the teacher does not provide stimulation or challenge then our daughter will just remain quiet in the room. Teachers typically pair her up with students that need help and she does the teaching. have seen other kids in district get special treatment, usually because they are precocious or have nagging parents. not our situation.

kid is high in all measures. she said she saw here english MAP RIT score and it was 247 which I believe. Early in the year we met with teacher who showed us a chart with all student math and english scores - names masked - all students fell in first 3 boxes - 2 scores alone off at the right side of a 4th box - teacher said those were my daughter's math and English scores. The scores were both 99th percentile but I suspect 97th and above probably don't tell you much - there can be huge variability when stuffing all the smart kids with different capabilities in a couple of percentage points...

So... my objective would be to absorb as much as I can about the experiences of others and try to craft a long term plan that lets her be a kid but also challenges her during the day. I really think the sky is the limit, but socialization is very important so I realize this will have to be a joint "on the down low" effort between us parents and the teachers so she is mainstream but actually learning and starting to live up to her potential.

Sorry to ask for this basic help, but with very limited time to search (as I steal time from work) I was hoping someone can help kick start my time here. from what I have seen here sounds like my daughter would be "normal" within his group so I welcome thoughts.

Thanks very much.

Last edited by Dad; 04/30/10 09:10 AM.