Just a comment about the Lighthouse Program. I think it has changed significantly over the past few years going from a handful of students to now 75 plus and it is heading to around a 90 to a 100 this fall. Within that increase in enrollment, has been a large increase in the number of younger students that the program has accepted. There are now a number of students commuting to the Program from 20 to 30 miles away each day.

Lighthouse Program isnt for everyone, I think a lot of parents first off find the structure difficult to get their heads around. As for example, the students dont start with a stated set of goals each year. So, if you are used to seeing homework packets, reading lists, spelling tests... It just isnt visible at the Lighthouse Program. That being written, it is an academic program and there are high expectations of the students. For example, the students that are taking HS classes are expected to get As.

The program is also getting much more active in competitions and won for example one state championship in one competiton this year as well as had runners up in others. Next year, I think there will be much more focus on competitions. And the nice thing about competitions, is that they are built into the school day, not after school activities.

As the program has grown so much over the past few years, there has been a recent big change in the way the program resources and supports itself. Hopefully as these changes get implemented, it will significantly help students at the Lighthouse Program to flourish.

I really do think it is a great program and with the hot bumper ticket price of free, makes it very attractive option in the TC area!