Thanks for the great replies!

Originally Posted by Mam
Hi, as has been mentioned by PP, Raven's doesn't measure verbal intelligence. I guess a good question to ask is how your dd does verbally? Does she seem to do really well with language tasks, analogies, uses complex vocabulary, etc?

If she seems very strong verbally, then it is more likely that the more traditional IQ tests would be high as well. If, OTOH, it seems that she excells in math and spatial problems, then it might be lower.

The WISC-IV is said to be better for verbally gifted kids, the verbal parts have more weigh, and the SB5 is better for the kids who are stronger in non-verbal.

I would strongly recommend that you do either of those, paired with achievement testing (WJ or WIAT). Not only would that give you an easier ticket to DYS (If she qualifies), but the 2 together can paint a very good picture.

I would also look for psychologists that are familiar with gifted children.

I suppose the RAvens was given through school, will she need anything else to get into GT classes or programs? Would the school follow up with an individually administered IQ test?

DD7 is quite strong verbally and she is advanced in math as well, although if I had to pick one strength it would be the language.

The Raven was administered at school, and her score is all she needs to get into the program. Others with slightly lower scores are allowed in with specific caveats....teacher recommendation, LD diagnoses etc.

All these abbreviations are going to kill me...hopefully I will catch on soon! Hahahaha!