I've posted before on my ds6's tendency not to stick with activities once he begins. We have adopted the philosophy that we expect him to complete the season at least as we've paid for it already. I want him to learn to stick with his commitments. Also, if he does have to miss, he is now allowed to come home and watch TV or play video games. That said, I have two questions:

1. What if he's crying and begging not to go? Do I make him go anyway? It's like walking into a burning building by taking him when he's in that state of mind.

2. I know he's only 6 and might change his mind, but he's started saying, "Why do I have to do sports anyway? I don't even like sports." He asks to bring books to recess in case no one is playing anything he wants to play. He's very social and extroverted so it's not an issue of being shy or just not social. If he doesn't want to participate in a sport, would you just allow that? I certainly don't want to force him. These things are supposed to be fun, but I do like the health aspect of getting exercise.

I sometimes think he just doesn't like team sports because he hates to lose!