Originally Posted by Jonas
Nervous about even having it done in the first place. Nervous about what results would mean.
You will still have the same wonderful kid you have always had, testing might mean that you have more informations about what his educational needs are, and more support to try and met them.
Read www.hoagiesgifted.org to learn more about giftedness and the testing process. We have some wonderful old threads about how to prepare the child for testing - can anyone help dig them up?

I consider myself of average intelligence. I have always surrounded myself by smart people and have always engaged in intellectual conversation and activities. But, I have never thought of myself as exceptionally bright.

This is quite nomal - people tend to spend a goodly percentage of their free time with people who are similar to themselves in many ways, including intelligence. So you are average amoung your self selected group, not exceptionally bright by comparison to this group in any way. Depending on the job, your work environment may be like this as well, making it even easier to fall into the 'false denominator' logic trap.

If you think back to your education, ask yourself if you or your relatives skipped grades, or when to the 'top groups' or when up a grade in certian subjects. If you attended a public elementary school in a 'rather typical' neighborhood then you might remember waiting around for the slower kids to catch up and or trying to over read into the questions that seem misleadingly simple, or special games you played with yourself during classtime to keep yourself quiet and well behaved during the long school day. Of course, you may have attended a private school with a skewed denominator right off the bat.

Welcome home dear,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com