Originally Posted by BinB
I'm not sure exactly what's going on in class, but evidently he is not at all showing what he can do, probably because he isn't expected to. If he continues at this pace, he will indeed prove that "everybody catches up to the advanced children by third grade." And I think that would be a shameful waste of his ability.

You got it exactly. Schools, driven in part by NCLB, have no incentives to provide for children who can work beyond the low levels required by the Archons of Standardized Testing and Edumacation. The schools actually have disincentives: if a school's average score is too low, the school can be punished (rather severely), yet anything beyond the minimum isn't singled out for a reward. In a situation like that, the approach of the schools is hardly surprising.

Our society has decided to focus on low achievers. Obviously, helping these kids is critically important. Somehow, though, someone decided that getting them to score well on tests that can be graded by a scanner is a good thing.

At the same time, everything and everyone else are being deliberately ignored. Millions of students are capable of much more, but aren't allowed to try. Gifted kids are hurt most of all, but they aren't the only ones.

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste" springs to mind as a counterpoint to NCLB and current edumacation trends.

BTW, I haven't met your son, but from what you wrote, he sounds *with pretty bright* to me.

Sorry to sound so ranty. I just get so frustrated.

Val