Originally Posted by supercrunch
I have heard that Investigations is similar to Everyday Math in that it is considered "fuzzy math" in that it de emphasizes memorization of math facts and standard algorithms for problem solving.
I don't want to defend Everyday Math or Math Investigations - I don't know enough about either to do that - but I *do* want to defend "fuzzy math" defined that way, especially for bright, mathematically inclined children. Memorisation of math facts and standard algorithms are not mathematics, in the sense that mathematicians use the word, and for children who can do real mathematics they *should* be deemphasised, IMNSHO. Now, it may be (I've heard claims both ways and am not in a position to judge) that there are many children who will never be able to do real maths, by which I mean gaining such a thorough understanding of the concepts they're manipulating that they can invent their own correct algorithms, and understand why they're correct, and invent new definitions to fit new problems, etc. I doubt there are many children of parents on this board who will never be capable of that, though. To support children in learning real math is much harder than to support them in memorisation tasks, and it has to be done with the right problem material for where the child is: it wouldn't surprise me if this is being done badly by most teachers most of the time, sadly. That doesn't make it any the less important. Please let's not dismiss the effort because it's often done badly.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail