Wow you hit the nail on the head! DS and I had a long talk last night and this is exactly what came out of our conversation. He said exactly that - that the teachers think because he is smart that he should know how to do everything without being shown how. I think it has been a blow to his self esteem and it is affecting every aspect of his work - in the regular classroom and the more challenging work that is being given to him. And as well I think he is thinking that he is not smart - especially as much as everyone thinks he is. He is also missing lessons while he is out for G&T and many times I think the lessons are taught in a more condensed version. And if he does not master it RIGHT away then he is not as smart as well. What pressure (and especially when they tell him that he needs to be a role model to the rest of the class). So how do you explain this to his teacher? I don't think she understands at all and I don't know if she will even after speaking to her. Once again, any advice would really help as we will be speaking to her next week - and my DS would like to be there as well to help explain how he feels.

One other question - when you say that he should be evaluated what kind of evaluation do you mean? He was evaluated at the school using the WISC IV already but scores don't seem to matter much to them (his GAI is 146). Or should he be evaluated for other reasons? smile again!