Well I just got off the phone with my DS9's teacher. I had e-mailed her about my son's problems at home and him finally telling me that he's unhappy at school (I posted another thread about it). He told me that he just tunes out and that he would like more in depth and harder work. HOWEVER, come to find out that he is not even trying. He doesn't do a lot of the work that he is supposed to and when he does have a bit of a problem he just says "I don't get it" and then sits down and sulks. He is getting some other work but is not taking the initiative to do them on his own and is really just not trying in the slightest. I understand that he is bored in some ways but when he is challenged why is he just giving up? Also, why is he not trying at all? As his teacher said, and I agree, it is time for him to step up - especially now that he is in fourth grade. I guess the other kids have always looked up to him and now they also don't understand why he doesn't care if he does sloppy work and gets things wrong and just doesn't care. The three of us are going to sit down so we can help him to see that there is more than just getting harder work - that you also have to try hard. Does anyone have any similar experiences with children this age and what have you done about it to make their "gift" turn into a positive experience when this is happening. I think it is so important for him to learn this now so that he doesn't end up as one of the statistics of a gifted child who gave up. I would appreciate ANY advice frown.