Master,
Nope you are doing a great job parenting!

Dh and I face a similar but different issue with our son (almost 11.) He tries lots of activities and enjoys them for a limited amount of time. He always does well at them until suddenly he has no interest in progressing any further in the material/skills. It isn't a case that the skills suddenly need more practice or are a challenge. It is just that after a year maybe 2, he feels he has learned enough from the instructor and doesn't want to do it anymore.

In conversation, he says that he just wants to be left alone to try things the way he sees them in his head and not have to do everything exactly like the instructor/coach tells him. He says that school is bad enough, he doesn't want more do as I say in his fun time. He said that he just feels like all his thoughts get jammed up behind a wall and whatever activity just isn't fun anymore.

I hate to see him give up on activities that he has really enjoyed. On the otherhand, he struggles so much to keep it together and do what his teachers want in school, that more of the same out of school seems unfair.