My first thought is that I can certainly understand why you're a bit wary of giving up your "playbook" (probably the first sports metaphor I've ever used in my life...). BUT one of my greatest beliefs about gifted education is that gifted children have the right to know that they're gifted and understand what that means. The way so many people will only talk about children honestly when the child isn't in the room just appalls me. Actually, my advisor for my GT Masters program wrote a piece called "The Gifted Child's Bill of Rights" for Parenting High Potential magazine, and the right to know about one's giftedness was #1 (if you're interested: http://www.gifted.uconn.edu/siegle/Publications/PHPGiftedBillOfRights.pdf). Speaking as someone who had to realize I was GT for myself, since my mom refused to accept it and my dad knew I was "smart" but didn't know much about what it really meant to be gifted, it caused a lot of unnecessary pain trying to understand everything on my own. I didn't become truly comfortable with my own giftedness until I was into my twenties, and I've only been comfortable talking about it since around last summer. This is a big part of your son's identity and I think he has the right to know as much about it as you can teach him.

By the way, I used to read my mom's parenting books, which were developed for "normal" children and which she tended to take as reinforcement of everything she was doing wrong. I thought they were hilarious.

Last edited by zhian; 02/23/10 11:18 AM.