Truly, I would seriously consider making lawyer noises. Not loudly, but maybe something to the effect of, "I'm sure you are interested in making every accommodation the school is legally obliged to provide, of course, and I have no doubt that you will attempt in good faith to meet the reasonable needs of students with special needs. I'm sure you obviously don't intend to establish one set of criteria for one kind of student and a different set of criteria for another kind, because of course that would be...problematic, you know, so I'm looking forward very much to arriving at a mutually satisfying solution."

What you're talking about, of course, is absolutely absurd. In order to pass from one class to another at every single school at which I've ever taught, students need laughably minimal mastery of 60%. This, in my opinion, is absurd in the other direction, but what you're talking about seems like little more than rank discrimination. I'm reminded of the language tests that private schools in Hawaii used to administer long ago to prospective Asian students -- language tests where, if the prospective student mispronounced even one word or got one little thing wrong, they had "faulty language skills" and weren't academically ready.

Last edited by Baudelaire; 02/17/10 06:25 PM.