Well, I haven't mentioned the name ADHD to my son, but he does know that he has some trouble focusing - particularly at school or when he needs to do homework that is not of interest to him. He knows that he takes some medicine for it and he recognizes that it helps him a lot in school.

I guess my main reason for not labeling it specifically for him is that he tends to get intensely focused (close to obsessed I guess) on health issues, his emotions, and his own strengths and weaknesses. We will have to discuss it at some point, but I didn't want him to get focused on the label and on a "medical condition" that he has. (Any time he thinks he may have some type of medical issue he tends to develop additional possible symptoms. This has actually lessened some with the mediciation - before we started the medication he spent a ton of time in the nurse's office at school (still goes now and again, but not several times a week like he did before)).

Anyway, for my son, I tend to feel that he would have more ADHD symptoms if we gave him the label, so avoiding it for now. Of course, if he really asked for a more in depth explanation, I would give it. I have certainly discussed with him times that I had trouble focusing on something and compared how we are alike in this way. This is all probably more specifically related to my DS10's personality, but you asked for possible reasons not to bring it up so thought I would share mine.

Good luck!