I've read a little online about how to explain an ADHD diagnosis to a young child, but I'm curious how the folks here have handled it. At first I thought we just wouldn't tell him. He's aware that he has trouble focusing, but we've never given it a name or spoken of any disorder. Also, he's starting medication this weekend, and I've told him he's going to be taking a "vitamin" that will help him focus. It's not that I don't want him to know he's taking actual medication; I just don't want him to get worried because he knows you take medicine when you are sick. He's good at taking vitamins. Any thoughts on how to explain this? We're pretty open here in our house, so I'm inclined to just explain it to him in an honest way. I'd like to know if you can think of any reasons I shouldn't do just that? I'll probably explain that he probably gets it from me and tell him about my own experience with undiagnosed ADHD, the positives and negatives of having ADHD, and what we can do to make it easier to handle.