Thanks for the feedback.
I'll have to check with the gifted program supervisor to get the results of the additional testing. I was informed he was accepted but haven't been given any other information. That was shortly before Christmas break, so I'll check with them next week.
Some of the extracurriculars are similar age groups, his den is all 8 & 9 year old boys, but the pack covers 1st through 5th grades. He's in a several different organizations with cattle, those are junior groups that cover 8 through 21. We include him in the meetings for the adults, also. He does gravitate to older kids, and loves being included in the adult organizations.
His self-esteem is fragile. I can see acceleration giving him a boost, but the first time he struggles with something he would probably dissolve in tears. He tends to be a bit overbearing with his peers, he wants to help them a bit too much in class. So being the 'big fish' in the small pond hasn't always worked out. He is getting more popular this year as his social skills are maturing.
He definitely is not talented athletically, so I've had him in skating and swimming lessons to give him a challenge without direct competition with other kids. Piano lessons, and soon flute lessons, also have provided a challenge for him.
I'm concerned he will not develop good study & work habits with the current curriculum being so easy. His school does use the Accelerated Reading program through Renaissance Learning, that helps challenge him. He's a Civil War buff & reads anything he can find on it & Abraham Lincoln; but also likes to read books like the Hardy Boys, or space, or about anything.
I'd be happier if the school also subscribed to the Accelerated Math offered by Renaissance Learning.
I think I'll watch how things go this next semester.
How much time does it take for a school to make a decision about skipping a grade? We're in Ohio and the Ohio standards do include grade acceleration, but I don't know our schools policy on that.