Glad to help, CAMom. smile Having to teach a child like the ones we're discussing has made it necessary that I figure this stuff out! And we're not alone in this approach. I have a friend with an HG+ child who gets 5 math problems per day to work, but they're 5+ years above the norm for his age. It seems to be the best way many of us have found to deal with this speed bottleneck in a way that lets the kids stretch their minds without taking all day to do it.

I should add, too, that DS8's speed does seem to be improving at a normal pace. He's faster now than he was when he was 6yo. That gradual improvement is one sign of normal, not LD, I think.

Apparently it is possible to improve processing speed with various exercises, Movingup6. We haven't bothered to try any of it (yet), though sometimes I question the wisdom of our choice...

For example, as we face DS8's first attempt at the Explore Test, a +5 test for him according to chronology, speed is my biggest concern for him. He could probably approach a perfect score on all sections if he had all the time in the world. But with 30 minutes for each 28- to 40-question section, I'm not sure he's going to meet with much success.

We did discuss test-taking strategies, but without my standing behind him cracking the whip, I fear he's going to get lost in thought and answer only one or two questions... *sigh*

Luckily, there's nothing significant riding on it! laugh

Kriston