Just to give you a quick update... DS has gotten some new books for Christmas that are at his age level or below age level (I think) and I've been reading them to him. He seems to enjoy those as much as he enjoys chapter books and advanced non-fictions. Today, when I was done reading to him, he said, "OK, my turn now." I thought he was going to read the book from the beginning, but instead, he took the book from me and started reading the back cover, which is intended for parents (you know, summary and praise for the book). I had to stifle a surprised laugh. He doesn't even know how ridiculously unusual that kind of reading is for a three year old. There were some difficult words he had never encountered before, but he pronounced them the best he could (very cute) and did not get frustrated like he used to. He just moved on and kept up the comfortable flow of reading speed just like an adult would. I was so relieved to see that he has regained his old confidence in reading and has initiated reading again when he felt ready. That's how he is. He always does things in his own good time.

I think the advice from some of you to explore different reading materials and to read to him without pressuring him to participate has paid off. Thank you!

Junior