My DS9 has a summer birthday, so he is one of the oldest in his grade. We held him back for maturity reasons. We had no idea school would be this bad for him. We thought it would helps his confidence to not be one of the youngest and smaller. The cursive writing has been so fustrating that I don't think he could of grade skipped until he got past that anyway.

I have not spoken with him about a grade skip at this point. My instinct, for whatever that is worth, is he should be 2 grades up. I really was wanting a better definition of where he should be before he is skipped, if he is skipped. He will take the explore next week and we are awaiting being able to take advantage of DYS anyday. The grade up math this year has been a bit disappointing and feels like more busy work. I wouldn't want to move him up a grade and just give him more work that is too easy.

He is not one to go thru changes really easily. Increasing homework time has been a concern. If he goes up two grades that's 20 mins. more HW. He is making all As at this point and is doing well with behavior. I think he feels insulted by the 3rd grade work and betrayed by the grade up Math. He complains to me about school and wishes they would let him do more appropriate work.

He has progressed this year with classmate friendships but feels a bit outside. I think he is making a best freind this year with smart boy in his class. He has never been around kids older than a year. He just started Chess club at school so he will be getting exposed to older kids.

I'm concerned about the sports with accelleration. I really think for him this is a big connection with his classmates. His size is good for this grade among the smaller boys. The school basketball has been amazingly fun for him this year. There are lots of out of school sports available but he says it's been more fun with his classmates.

Last edited by onthegomom; 01/17/10 07:26 PM.