I don't think either option is wrong. It comes down to what is best for your child. My only suggestion is to consider what your "hangups" are and whether they are based in reality or myth.

Have you read "A Nation Deceived"? http://www.accelerationinstitute.org/nation_deceived/ It's provided for free--via download or by mail--and is based on actual research, not lore handed down from school administrator to school adminstrator.

I wish I had read it before we made decisions about DS8. I had hangups about grade acceleration based on what I'd heard then that I do NOT have anymore, after I'd read the research. I think we would still have chosen to homeschool, and certainly that has worked well for us, but I prefer to make choices based on all the evidence. We didn't have it then.

The nice thing about grade skipping is that you are not relying upon the good graces of the classroom teacher. A grade skip is guaranteed and institutionally accepted. Differentiation can get dropped if the teacher forgets, has a busy week, decides to punish your child, etc. It's less dependable.

On the negative side of grade acceleration, your child is in that grade for academic competitions, sports, etc. And one skip may not be enough for an HG+ child. You might need two or more, or a grade skip (or two) and further subject acceleration.

HTH!

Kriston