Thanks for your thoughts, everyone! It's hard for me to tell if DS would still be in the top 10% if skipped to 2nd but he is an excellent candidate according to the IAS. Does that mean he will probably still be in the top 10%?

Grinity--the school refuses to do subject acceleration due to "scheduling difficulties". That is my main reason for trying for the grade skip. We are currently afterschooling in math, reading and writing. DS is in Singapore 1B right now but he also did EPGY K-2 over the summer. He reads comfortably ~2nd grade level and really just started writing.

He was not writing much at all two weeks ago, but after working with him a few minutes a day he now writes pages and suddenly spells many sight words. He has also started spelling longer words on his own like "ilustrated" and "atmosfear".

I am wondering if his spurt has something to do with a session he had with the vice-principal. Just before Christmas break, I asked her to do a recommendation for him for the YS program. She told me she wanted to sit down with him one-on-one to get a better idea what he's like. I told her that he likes money so she had some money activities for him to do. He impressed the heck out of her by counting change and adding two digit numbers in his head. He also talked her out of $2.05 by telling her that if he had $2.05 he would be "just as rich as my sister." Anyway, she praised him lavishly and gave him certificates saying he was a "super reader" and a "math wizard."

He has been feeling very confident ever since...

Cathy